Monday, September 28, 2015

Mailing Address:
Sister Macey Smith
45-345 Mealele St.
Kaneohe, HI 96744
Aloha All,
This week has been good to me. Some funny and awkward moments: trying to dodge aloha kisses from these yummy people, “sorry Brother, I’m like super consecrated!  Just shake my hand!” Or laughing at myself, in my PJ’s, on the grass mat attempting “Ab Ripper X from Insanity” – the only exercise dvd we have in the apartment.  Also lots of moments to ponder and read as it has been POURING here. We just got new elders in the zone and it's fun to meet them. We have been tracting a lot this week and are getting prepared for General Conference (seriously SO excited) and the ward is a blessing! 

I read a great talk from last conference called "The Music of the Gospel" and it talks about how we all know the dance steps of church, but do we hear the music of the gospel? Do we have a reason to dance? and if not, let us. (I hear “lets dance” In Kevin Bacon's voice. hehe).  Let us do everything to hear that music in our lives. Because that is the reason we started dancing in the first place.

Man, teaching brings out the best and worst in me.  This week we were teaching an 11 year old girl in a part member family (3 generations live together).  As we stated to teach about the Plan of Salvation, several of the adults (6) started asking about all kinds of fringe topics; women in the priesthood, the law of consecration and why the church is so Eurocentric (centered on Europe and Europeans).  It was heavy and seemed like we were being attacked from every side.   Sister Soriao had a lot of grace.  I was silently praying that we could figure out how to bring the Spirit and calm the room.  After an hour and a half of HOT MESS, the girls grandfather spoke these simple works, "have a little faith.  You don't need to know everything, you need to know enough."  Things settled, and though our lesson was simple, I feel that it was strong.

Sometimes, some days it’s hard to represent the Church.  Gods ways are unchanging and the world is just the opposite.  But to bear the name of Jesus Christ is teaching me so much.  I want to be as steadfast and unchanging as the Lord needs me to be.  Being a missionary is allowing me to stare my doubts and fears down and decide what I will do to conquer them.
    
Our Mission President gave us a talk by Jeffery R. Holland called "The Atonement and missionary work" and he said:
      "Presidents, if the missionaries can come to love and appreciate it, the Atonement will carry them perhaps even more importantly than it will carry their investigators.  You let them know that when they struggle, when they are rejected, when they are spit upon, and cast out and made a hiss and a byword, they are standing shoulder to shoulder with the best life this world has ever known, the only pure and perfect missionary that ever lived.  They have every reason to stand tall and to be grateful that the Savior and Redeemer of the world knows all about their sorrows and their afflictions and that for a moment or two in their lives they will understand what He went through for them.  Welcome to the journey of the disciples of Christ."

I have seriously SO much to learn.  The natural man is the worst but I'm starting to exercise my testimony.  Exciting times!

I LOVE THIS WORK. I LOVE THIS PLACE. THESE PEOPLE ARE AMAZING AND TEACH ME SO MUCH.

Love,
Sister Smith 


No comments:

Post a Comment